Thursday, July 27, 2006

A' DAY that was all about TRYING

In my confused mind...
Finally, for the first time, I was sitting at the first row of the class of MK2 (which was not easy as my gang and I had to come half an hour earlier to the class - I did not mind because the lovely LCD-screen computer was all for myself...hehehe~ shouldn't be so selfish ya'). However, the air condition broke down therefore sitting in front was not as cool as I thought.

What I've learnt today...
The very first thing the lecturer and her assistant (Mr. Sam :) ) asked us to do at the beginning of the class was to demonstrate how to orientate the cursor to the touch of our finger on the Smartboard. To grab every chance to try out the smartboard i went up and did it with my sweaty fingers and embarassing stumbles (oops...phew~).

The lecturer continued on to show us some samples of lesson plan that integrated the use of the Smartboard as the class watched with amazement. After looking at some examples, I started to feel that there really are endless, possible ways to use Smartboard in our teaching. One example that was on my mind at that moment was playing language games using the Smartboard with the pupils, such as word puzzles.

The lecturer showed us one example where the teacher developed two squares of different colours. As we dragged a group of letters or words from one side to the other, the words which were visible in one square could not be seen in the other. I tried bravely in attempt to get these effects on my computer's Smartboard and I did it! The trick is? Voila~ By changing colours of the font of the letters, in accordance to the background colours that a person placed the words in. You want it to be seen - just put a different colour to the font from the background and the reverse if you do not want the words to be seen. Simple as that! One only needs to learn the trick and master it.

It was not as hard as I think to use the Smartboard. As Professor Maznah have said, "It is not difficult to do it, once you get a hang of it." True, through trials and trials and even more trials, I believe I will master the art of using the Smartboard.

Digital Citizen vs. Digital Immigrants
One glance at this topic written by our lecturer on the Smartboard, immediately on my mind I was thinking of the Malaysians and Indonesians living in Malaysia. Malaysian will be the citizens or natives of the country Malaysia whereas the Indonesians in Malaysia will be seen as the immigrants. So, therefore my mind concluded, digital citizen will those born in the digital world and digital immigrants will be those who were not born in the digital world.

Not being too sure myself, I tried to check the meanings of these terms on the internet. According to Prensky (2001), digital citizen (or digital natives to be precise) and digital immigrants are used to describe the generation gap separating today's students (the digital natives) from their teachers (the digital immigrants). The digital natives and the digital immigrants live separate style of culture. The digital natives are used to high-speed information receiving whereas the digital immigrants are usually not born in the digital world and have "digital immigrant accent" which will reveal their non-native status (Prensky, 2001).

I was quite unhappy as being a future teacher I would be classified under a digital immigrant. I was raised in the digital world and used to be updated to the latest innovations on the internet such as using ICQ, IRC and MSN. However, perhaps there really are is a breach between my future pupils and me because there are so many new resources and softwares that one can find each day. Pupils maybe proficient in the use of the web. What I can help as a teacher is to teach pupils to recognise reliable resources on the net as there are a mass of knowledge or ideas which can be quite misleading. In addition, the introduction of the Smartboard is capable of getting more of their attention.

I do not believe students learn from computers or teachers - which has been a traditional assumption of most schooling. Rather, students learn from thinking in meaningful ways. Thinking is engaged by activities, which can be fostered by computers or teachers. (Jonassen, 2000)
In my opinion, what is significant in integrating technology in teaching will be to enhance pupils' thinking. Now, not only the teachers will be the scaffolding, but also the technology such as the Smartboard.

Undeniably, the internet will be the primary medium for the emerging culture of the digital natives as they will search any information on the internet because of its high-speed in information attaining. Thus, digital-immigrant teachers definitely will see the significance to incorporate technologies into their lessons in order to bridge the gap between these two cultures.

Today I've questioned...
We had some time to spare to try out other functions of the Smartboard during the day. I tried to upload a flash file on the Smartboard but till now I still could not get it done. I could upload only the hyperlink to the websites. Nevermind, I would not give up easily. I would never stop trying! Next week would forward my enquiries to the lecturer or to Mr. Sam.

References:

Jonassen, D.H. (2000). Computers and mind tools for schools: Engaging critical thinking. Columbus: OH. Prentice-Hall.

Prensky, M. (2001a, September-October). Digital natives, digital immigrants. On the horizon, 9(5), 1-6. Retrieved July 27, 2006, from http://marcprensky.com/writing/Prensky%20-%20Digital%20Natives,%20Digital%20Immigrants%20-%20Part2.pdf

Vanslyke, T. (2003, May-June). Commentary- Digital natives, digital immigrants: some thoughts from the generation gap. Retrieved July 27, 2006, from http://www.wisc.edu/depd/html/TSarticles/Digital%20Natives.htm

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm impressed with your site, very nice graphics!
»

11:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi! Just want to say what a nice site. Bye, see you soon.
»

3:25 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home